Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mugison - Mugiboogie

It's taken me nearly a week, but here is the review I promised of the latest album from the opening act to Queens of the Stone Age...





Mugison - Mugiboogie
I first heard this guy live as the opening act for Queens of the Stone Age, so my initial expectations and impressions were naturally going to be a little different than the album would be. Most bands sound much louder and heavier live, but based on the set that he played I was expecting a hard rock sound that verged a little on metal (on one of the live tracks he used the death growl) The first four tracks held up my initial expectations pretty well, as they were all tracks he played live, but then things started to change. While listening to these songs, since I was enjoying them so much, I went and did a little research, and discovered that apparently Mugison (real name Örn Elías Guðmundsson) is actually an artist usually in the vien of fellow Icelanders Sigur Ros, which as anyone familiar with their sound is practcially the antithesis of hard rock. The rest of the album conforms to his earlier work fairly well, and it doesn't really veer back into hard rock (although one later track was the one with the death growl, it was very different than the live version, as this was odd experimental soundscape with muffled growled vocals)
Naturally I was disappointed that it wasn't all like the absolutely killer opening tracks, and I do suspect a lot of the people hat bought the album at the show feel similarly, but after I got past that I did start to appreciate the album as it is. There are some bluesy and country elements in Mugison's experimental tracks, and if you were to take out the hard rock tracks it would be a very well done post rock album. I've bought his earlier two albums, though I haven't really listened to them yet, and I can hear a distinct evolution in his sound. Unfortunately I'm not really a huge fan of the softer post rock movement (I am however quite familiar with the so called post metal movement) so I can't really compare Mugison to anyone other than Sigur Ros on these tracks, but from what I can tell he does them very well. They're quite pretty and appealing to listen to, and his voice has a much deeper tone (this is relative, mind) than Sigur Ros, which is much more suited to my taste. There are also more in the way of conventional rock structuring in Mugison's music than some post rock artists, which makes it a little easier to listen to in my opinion. I highly recommend the last three quarters of the album to post rock fans.
The problem to me is that the first couple tracks feel like they should be a totally different disc, maybe an EP, since they have so little in common with the rest of the album when played in order. There's this blast of bluesy hard rock, replete with somewhat sexed up lyrics a la Danko Jones, and because they're so put together it doesn't flow well. I find myself often stopping the playback now after the first four tracks unless I skip them altogether, which of course detracts from the overall experience. That said, the first tracks are very, very good in the style they're in, and I think Mugison clearly has it in him to release an absolutely killer hard rock album if he wants to.
So what's my final verdict? Taken as a whole, it feels a bit schizophrenic, like Mugison started to make a hard rock album and chickened out at the last minute, or decided to try something new on a regular album. I don't know the story behind the new sound, but I'd urge him to try maing a whole album. The set he performed was very, very good and he made a fan of me, even though he's primarily the shoegazer post rock stuff, but were he to release a whole album of songs as quality as the first ones he'd win legions more I suspect. I can't say I would recommend anything but the beginning to hard rock fans, but the latter half is very well done for what it is. As a result, I'm going to have to give this album three different ratings...
For just the first four tracks: 9/10
For the rest of the album: 8.5/10
For the album as a whole: 6.5/10

No comments: