Sunday, May 18, 2008

Audioslave - Revelations

Audioslave - Revelations

Audisolave are a somewhat controversial band, in that there are very divided opinions about them. Some feel that they were a worthy successor to the member's previous, incredibly succesful groups, while others feel that the band fell vastly short of the heights of Rage Against the Machine and Soundgarden. Whatever one might feel about them, it is nearly impossible for most to separate them from these two bands, and during their time together they were usually only spoken of as the band that so-and-so from one of those earlier bands joined. It wasn't really fair, and I can't help but wonder if on some level this was a reason for the band's breakup last Spring, and I'm hoping tonight to try to deal objectively with the band's last album without invoking the others too often.

First, a little bit of background, which unfortunately is inevitable...

Audioslave are the result of a jam session between former Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell and the instrumental section of Rage Against the Machine, sans vocalist Zack de la Rocha. Because of the difference between these styles, the earlier work of Audioslave was often somewhat fragmented, as Chris Cornell's role as vocalist and front man often meant that the Rage boys' style was pushed to the back. Not to say that the more funk influenced work of Rage wasn't present in Audioslave's sound right from the beginning, but it was obvious that the Soundgarden influence was great.

I have been a fan of Audioslave since I first heard the single "Like a Stone." There, I've said it, I am among the group who enjoy Audioslave. To be quite honest, they have been one of my favourite bands since I first bought their self titled debut back in early 2003. While there were a few jagged edges, I was impressed with that album, and while I was not nearly so impressed with their second abum Out of Exile, I did feel as though most of those edges had been smoothed out. The band was finding its own unique sound, which they finally found on their third (and, sadly, their last) album, 2006's Revelations.

What is the sound that Audioslave found? Well, it has some relation to their earlier incarnations, but in the end it owed a great deal more to funk and soul from the 1970s then Rage ever had (which will hopefully be the last time I need to invoke that name until the end of this review) Before the album was released, guitarist Tom Morello made comparisons to the Motown era funk band Earth, Wind, and Fire, and after I first listened to the album the comparisons are apt. Excepting the first single, Original Fire, which is a complete throwback to Motown and feels slightly out of place on this album, the songs are bass heavy and bear a great debt to funk music in particular. While still bearing a recognisable connection to their first album, the music has evolved to the point that the instrumental influences of Rage (damn, I've had to mention them again) which were greatly those of the first wave of popularity of African-influenced musical styles, has fully meshed with the heavy metal of the 1970s. For once, I really can't say that there is any real level of conflict between these styles, and the band sounds relaxes and confident with what they're playing. When I first bought this album, I couldn't stop listening to it for two weeks, which with me is a mark of something special.

My only real complaint is that at times the album can sound a little too alike, as the style which was finally fully achieved with this album is still too limited. When I first listened to it, I kept thinking about how absolutely incredible the next album would be, since the band had achieved a new style with this album, one with which all the players felt comfortable and which was excellent. Unfortunately, within a few months of its release Chris Cornell announced that he was leaving to pursue his own directions, and since then the musicians have reunited with Zack de la Rocha to perform live as Rage Against the Machine, perhaps one day to record again. Had they not released this album first, I might have just been happy to have such a titan of the music world back, but having heard Revelations I'm very torn between joy at having Rage back and the simple fact that Audioslave will never be able to continue to perfect the wonderful sound they achieved with this album, and I suppose that is really the most fitting tribute to the band; that they could inspire regret despite the revival of one of the most popular and influential bands in modern rock music history.

8.5/10

No comments: